The Construction Cloud Gathers Industry Experts to Discuss the Labor Shortage
No great monument was built by a single man. As builders, we know that amazing things happen when people work toward a common goal. That’s why we’re excited to announce an upcoming webinar sponsored by a new consortium of companies called the Construction Cloud. Our common goal? To spark conversation and accelerate the productivity of the construction industry, by taking a closer look at how we, as builders, can do our jobs faster, smarter, and better through technology.
Why are we focused on productivity and technology? As our CEO Tracy Young wrote in an open letter last month, “The industry has never experienced a technological transformation; document control and distribution are too slow; communications and decisions are siloed and bureaucratic; and field teams do not have consistent access to the information needed to build.” Technologies such as cloud computing and mobile apps offer enormous potential to solve these challenges. If you expand the scope to consider technologies like drones, 3D modelling, big data, and the internet of things, it’s immediately clear that the construction industry is in the midst of a digital transformation. As part of the Construction Cloud, we want to help the industry understand what the future holds, while taking full advantage of all the technologies available today.
Helping builders be more productive today is the goal for our kickoff webinar, “How Technology Increases Construction Productivity in the Era of Labor Shortages.” You’ve probably heard of, read about, or personally experienced the results of construction labor shortages. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, nearly 200,000 construction industry jobs are unfilled across the U.S. We’ve been thinking a lot about it too. We’ve recently written about how companies can overcome this challenge through smarter recruitment, construction software, and technology that improves jobsite communication.
To help you better manage construction labor shortages, we’ve brought together four industry leaders who will share their unique perspective on the problem:
- Ken Simonson, Chief Economist, AGC – Ken will share recent research on construction labor shortages and how it is impacting the construction industry today, as well as predictions for future trends
- John Pemberton, CEO of Transforming Construction Solutions – John will discuss common productivity problems, and how lean construction principles and collaborative approaches are helping increase productivity. He’ll bring an owner’s perspective to the discussion, plus discuss practical steps to ensuring that technology solutions are deployed successfully
- Kris Lengieza, VP of Operational Excellence, Stiles Corporation – Kris will discuss the benefits of deploying technology in the field, and how field technology can have a dramatic impact on overall construction productivity
- Robert Kipp, Lead Superintendent, Aecom Tishman – Robert will share perspectives on construction technology learned from working on the Hudson Yards project, the largest private real estate development in the history of the United States
Each of these forward-thinking industry experts will share valuable insights on the impact of the labor shortage. By attending the webinar, you’ll discover:
- Transformative technologies accelerating construction productivity
- Tips on how to implement technology effectively to get results
- Common barriers to avoid for field technology adoption
Partnering with PlanGrid on the Construction Cloud are other forward-thinking companies like DeWalt, EarthCam, eSub, Rhumbix, Skycatch, and SmartBid. Together, our goal is to help shape industry direction and drive tangible change in how construction does business, both today and in the future.
Update: This webinar has ended. Don’t worry, we saved you a seat. Check out the recording here.