In December 2015, we decided to join PlanGrid’s sales team because the company is solving a very real problem in the construction industry: while other industries have experienced huge increases in productivity (thanks to technology), construction productivity levels have remained stagnant since the 1960s.
The construction sector has been notoriously slow to adopt new technologies, and has never experienced a major transformational force — until now. PlanGrid is arming the industry with a powerful, easy-to-use tool that has already helped tens of thousands of contractors, owners, and architects finish their projects on time and under budget.
Joining PlanGrid was even more appealing when we found out that the company is backed by VC heavyweights like Y Combinator and Sequoia Capital, and that PlanGrid users were already saving hours every day on the jobsite. Anyone with a history in SaaS sales knows that customer feedback is crucial in understanding the potential of a product, and PlanGrid stood out for it’s strong value prop (which includes, but is not limited to):
- Automatically tracking and logging all documents in a single place
- Allowing the field to extract valuable data from the field to better maintain buildings
- Eliminating poor document control and schedule delays
PlanGrid is tackling something big: it’s solving a major problem for a 7,000 year old industry. Construction data is shackled in legacy, and paper blueprints are clunky, heavy to carry, and result in enormous rework costs — totaling $9 billion per year — simply due to working from outdated plans.
The standard 8-hour, in-the-office workday has existed in America since before WWII. At PlanGrid, we’ve mobilized our entire sales team in all of the major metro areas in the United States — and we’ve recently extended our reach to Canada, Australia, and the United Kingdom. Outside of the sales reps that work out of our San Francisco headquarters, the majority of the sales team works remotely, and we do it well.
We believe there are multiple factors that drive our success:
- We offer a world-class product. Period.
- Construction workers don’t go into a standard office environment every day. The jobsite is their office, and we’re available to offer personalized, onsite, one-on-one engagement — whenever and wherever we’re needed.
- We only hire the best: high energy, ultra-motivated people who are willing to fully commit themselves to exceeding customer needs and showing them the benefits of digitizing the field.
- Internally, we leverage mobile collaboration tools like Slack and Google Docs to collaborate and share strategies.
- Working remotely tends to promote a bit of oversharing. Even though we’re miles apart, we often feel closer to our teammates than if we worked in the same physical office every day.
Working remotely isn’t for everyone, and it takes a certain degree of self-discipline and time management skills in order to be successful. At PlanGrid, every rep is equipped with a MacBook, iPad, and iPhone (that doubles as a WiFi hotspot). It doesn’t matter if we’re working from our home office, a local coffee shop, our car, or even the nearest beach. At the drop of a dime, any of our sales reps can easily demonstrate how PlanGrid can streamline communication in the field, reduce the risk of rework, and ensure projects stay under budget and ahead of schedule.
We have over 250 employees working all over the world… and we’re hiring. Join us.